What is EECP?
Enhanced External Counter Pulsation (EECP) is performed as a non-invasive treatment to lower the number and intensity of angina episodes. Treatment is administered through three pairs of external inflatable cuffs that are applied around the lower legs, upper legs and buttocks.
HOW IT WORKS:
Patient lies in a bed and can watch TV or read a book. While cuffs placed in the leg massage the blood from the legs to the heart thereby opening new microvessels (natural bye pass).
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM EECP:
- Patient who have chest pain even while on maximal dose of drugs.
- Patient with triple vessel disease who are not keen to undergo, By pass or angioplasty.
- Patient who have already undergone bypass surgery and still have chest pain ( inspite of drugs)
- Patient with heart failure.
- Diabetics with complications life difficulty in having sex (improves sex life) or increased blood pressure or chest pain.
- To control blood pressure not under control with drugs.
- Micro vascular angina (syndrome x)
- Patient with diffuse coronary artery disease not amenable surgery or PTCA
ADVANTAGES OF EECP:
- Non invasive, no needle or surgery.
- Painless and safe.
- rejuvenates the body.
- Improves quality of life.
- Increases activity levels.
- Day care (outpatient procedure)
- 35 cycles of one hour daily.
- Approved by US food and drug administration (FDA).
- Non surgical heart treatment.